Friday, July 13, 2012

Individuality

Individuality - 
1. the particular character, or aggregate of qualities, that distinguishes one person or thing from others; sole and personal nature: a person of marked individuality.
2. the qualities that distinguish one person or thing from another; identity

I'm not entirely sure the world is aware of this topic, and I'm quite aware that I'm not the only person surrounded by close minded people, dead set in their ways, unwilling to listen to reason. Respecting someone's beliefs is one thing, but shoving your thoughts and ways of conformity down humanity's throat isn't going to help save the world. I'm sure everyone will take what they want from statements like that, but everyone has their own reasons. Because someone is different, whether religion or style or culture, doesn't mean they deserve to be hated; in fact, it will do absolutely nothing.

I realize acceptance isn't something you can expect from society. And there will always be someone who disagrees with you. But, as a child, I was constantly spoon fed the words "Be yourself". I know most teenagers my age lack originality and merely do whatever the rest of the crowd does. And that's fine. If you are truly just like everyone else, then don't force yourself to be something your not. But because someone doesn't fit the role of the average person doesn't lessen their worth as a being. 

“To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”
Ralph Waldo Emerson

People lack self worth. Those who strive to merely achieve their own goals against every other force are the ones who truly grow as people. Why should you care for that? I'm not sure. It depends on your morals. And maybe you don't care. But that's just who you are, and regardless of whether you brainwash yourself to be like everyone else or you stick out like a sore thumb, you'll be equal to everyone around you.

 “The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud.”
Coco Chanel

I don't want to sit and preach to the world about individuality and how it's a necessity to the world. I do things because I want to, not because I'm expected. All day long I hear that I should NOT be going to Japan because of some random selfish or religious reason that some close minded person makes up. And all my life I've heard that I deserve some awful punishment for being different than another person. I'm not going to step down to people like that. Pursue yourself, not someone else's idea of what should or shouldn't be your life.

“You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
Friedrich Nietzsche

“I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.”

No comments:

Post a Comment